mardi 27 octobre 2009

How to Run Windows 7 for Mac OS X with 2 lines of command


Windows 7 ?
Some of you already know that Windows 7, the new operating system Windows is for sale since yesterday. Windows 7 to have tested its public beta, I think is a stable OS, pretty but less efficient than Windows XP. When I see that 82% of readers Geekeries run under Windows, only 58% are still under XP and only 34% run under Vista was released there over 2 years, I think that the transition will not be as easy.

While we do not fight against the change since in any case, the new machines will be delivered automatically with Windows 7 is like that. But I think the average Joe does not need. While Windows 7 is prettier but Windows XP already meets 99% of the needs of a normal user. So why change?

This little intro (quite rotten, it's true, but what do you, it's Friday) then leads us to our topic today: how to run Windows 7 for free with Mac OS X (among others ...) 2 lines command.

Those who follow me on Twitter (thank you to them:)) know that my questioning of geek time on the operating system reinstall on my PC whose hard drive just died (or not far at least, enough to no longer able to boot Windows XP). Of course, my last article on the new Mac has caused me to want to change bikes. But in a context of economic crisis, it might be wiser to do with what I have now!

It is therefore the following choices:

1. Install Windows 7 (which is not compatible with my onboard sound card)
2. Buy a Mac (and then throw my PC)
3. Installing Mac OS on my PC (as did C-Wam in the article on the Hackintosh)
4. Installing Ubuntu (the next version 9.10 coming out soon)

Anil Dash is a geek whose geekitude seems very thorough. Very much push.

Already, he must know it is possible natively, install Windows on a Mac, as long as it is built on Intel architecture. If I am not mistaken, it seems that all recent Macs are for those.

In fact, Apple offers a software called Boot Camp, which is actually a boot loader for installing Windows on a Mac!

Based on this observation, Anil Dash has done something even crazier. Via the free Virtual Box, a free virtualization software running on Mac, Linux, FreeBSD or Windows, he made sure to use the installation of Windows 7 first made under Boot Camp, DIRECTLY from Virtual Box. The great advantage of this system being able to boot Windows 7 without restarting your Mac.

So, the 4 scenarios above, I just added 2 more twisted:

1. Buy a Mac and install Windows via Boot Camp 7
2. Buy a Mac, install Windows 7 via Boot Camp and run it from Virtual Box

You do not have to stop there! More economical solutions exist:

1. Install Mac OS X on my PC and run Windows 7 from Virtual Box
2. Installing Ubuntu on my PC and install Windows 7 in dual boot
3. Installing Ubuntu on my PC and run Windows 7 from Virtual Box
4. ...

The list seems endless and all configurations seem possible! And you would do what?

Aucun commentaire:

Enregistrer un commentaire